Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Time after time

The trouble with history.

I'm reading Romeo Dallaire's new book.  I could have used much of the information 8 months ago in my thesis.  It clarifies some of my questions about the opposing military forces.  The trouble with history is that as soon as you publish, it's out of date.  It becomes historiography.  So people can read it and say, in March 2010 this is what the author knew about the army.... In November 2010 she would've known much more from Gen. Dallaire's publication.  I'm now a stepping stone.  Our knowledge builds and builds until what you have written is subsumed by new revelations.  My history publication IS history.  I could now be a subject of study for future historians.  How odd to be part of what you are studying. 

1 comment:

  1. History Proverb debunked:

    This is proof that hindsight is never 20/20, despite received wisdom to the contrary.

    p.s. I love the "word verification" generator for the Comments on this site. Yesterday I had "spimp". Today I have "warbards". You can't make this stuff up -- Romeo and Amelia: Warbards. There is a ghost in this machine.

    ReplyDelete