Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween in review





How was everyone's Halloween? Dull and uneventful?  My Russian teacher told me the story of her emigration to Canada.  It was on October 30, 1994, the day before Halloween.  They did not have Halloween in the Soviet Union and definitely not in the disaster that was Russia after 1991.  She said,

"I arrived in Canada and stepped out of the hotel.  Everywhere we looked, there were bones and ghosts and blood decorating the houses.  I hugged my young daughter to me, thinking what a terrible mistake we had made in coming here. We wondered if Canadians worshiped Satan.  The next day the hotel people said to my little daughter, go run around the houses and get candy!  So then we thought, these Canadians may worship Satan but at least they have good Communism."

I spent my Halloween casually wishing that Weimar Republic would not eat my shoes as I walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment